Sunday, June 26, 2011

You say Potato, I say SALAD....potato SALAD potato SALAD

Potato Salad folks!  It was my Grandmother's birthday party yesterday (86 years young) and I was commissioned to bring some starchy salads. 

The finished product, you can see
my famous pasta salad behind it :)

I've made potato salad, but I've never made really good potato salad...until now.  I stole this one from Martha Stewart.    When combining the warm potatoes with the seasoning at the beginning, the flavour is excellent.  I will make this again.  I could eat this all day.  There's enough leftover, so I might just do that! http://www.marthastewart.com/341697/basic-potato-salad


BASIC POTATO SALAD

INGREDIENTS:

3 pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon gold or new), scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/3 cup white-wine vinegar
4 scallions, white part minced, green part thinly sliced
Coarse salt (1tsp)
Ground pepper (1/4 tsp)
1/3 C light mayo
1/3 C plain 2% or non-fat greek yogurt
1 stalk of celery, finely sliced
Fresh Parsley (optional)


METHOD:
Scrub the potatoes
Cut potatoes into bite sized chunks, rinse in colander
In large pot place potatoes, add cold water until about 2cm (1 inch) above potatoes

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until cooked (but not mushy)

Mince 'em fine!
MEANWHILE.....Cut the whites off of your green onions and mince the whites fine.  Reserve the greens.
In a large bowl (metal is preferable) place the onion with your salt, pepper, and vinegar - and whisk mixture.

Once the potatoes are cooked strain in colander, strain well (give 'em a shake or 2)
Add potatoes to the vinegar mixture and toss

Parsley taken from my (to be completed)
herb box!

Leave for about an hour or better, occasionally mixing up the vinegar mixture into the potatoes until the potatoes are cooled.

Slice your green onion greens, and thinly slice your celery stalk
Get some fresh parsley and mince fine (A few stalks, maybe 2 TBSPs)
To the cool potatoes add your mayo mix, celery, onion greens, and parsley, stir it up until combined.

Cooks note:  The original recipe calls for too much mayo (3/4C)!  I used less (2/3C) and it was still too much, so use half and then if you need more, use more.


No comments:

Post a Comment