Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chocolate Almond (Insert Dessert Name Here)

So I haven't been blogging lately. I've been cooking and baking up a storm, seriously.  I've done some great stuff in my kitchen.

The finished product! jiggly on top
One thing I've figured out is that I'm definitely lactose intolerant, so no milk in great quantity (or a bunch of lactaid pills, but the first option works the best!!!) and I'm not necessarily gluten intolerant, but I feel and it works better for me if I don't go crazy on gluten based foods (not to say I don't enjoy them at times!!)

I'm coming back in here with DECADENCE.  You will find recipes for two of the most delicious things I've baked in a looooooong time!!!

CHOCOLATE ALMOND (LAVA CAKES)
This recipe below is very similar to the Peanut butter chocolate cakes I've made before, except this time with almond butter.  Oh, and no flour either!  These were OUTSTANDING.  I talked about them for days after I made them, and honestly, I still think about them.  The appeal besides the flourless aspect is the honey used as sweetener! Brilliant!!  (I made half of this recipe)
cocoa'd ramekins
TOOLS:
4 6-8 oz ramekin dishes
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Butter for greasing

Ingredients:
6 TBSP unsalted butter
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 TBSP almond meal
1/3 C liquid honey
2 eggs
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 TBSP natural almond butter mixed with 1 TBSP icing sugar and a bit of water (to help it combine)


METHOD:
Prepare ramekins:  Generously grease your ramekins, place in some cocoa powder and tap around the ramekin until it is well coated
Melt butter and chocolate together on low heat, or in microwave (stir constantly, or if in microwave, stop every 15 seconds to stir, takes about 40 seconds or so)
In a separate bowl vigorously whisk eggs
To your chocolate mixture, Whisk in almond meal, honey, eggs, and almond extract.
Place half of the chocolate mixture divided into your 4 ramekins (
Put the almond butter mix
right in the middle...
Place 1/4 of the almond butter mixture in the center of each ramekinDivide the rest of your chocolate mixture ontop.

If baking right away:  Place in the middle of a preheated 450 degree oven (place ramekins on a baking sheet) for approximately 10 minutes.  (middle should look liquidy but rest should be set, check them after 9)

Otherwise, cover and place in fridge until ready to bake.  If you are baking straight from the fridge, add a minute or two to the baking time.

Let stand for 5 minutes after baking, run a knife around the edges of the dish, invert onto plate, top with ice cream or whipped cream and sliced almonds.  WOWEE!  Also some fresh fruit would cut this nicely as well.



CHOCOLATE ALMOND (BROWNIES)
The finsihed brownie
This second recipe got into my mind when I was reading Chatelaine a couple of months ago.  No offence to Chatelaine because they try hard, but I've often found I'm hit and miss with their recipes (although the hits are indeed sensational).  This recipe below is one of the sensational hits!  It's a flourless and dairy free brownie, it's actually kind of healthy and a source of FIBRE!  Crazy I know, but it works and it's sooooooooo good!    Now, I've never (at least according to me) have made a great brownie.  This is about as close as I'm going to get.  I made a half recipe, but I'm going to post the directions for a full one (to do half, just use an 8x4 loaf pan instead)   Adapted from Chatelaine.com (they call them light decadent brownies)  http://food.chatelaine.com/recipes/View/Light-decadent-brownies  
Makes 16 brownies (or more, just cut 'em smaller!)


INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups (290 grams - this is more accurate!) icing sugar
2 100g pkgs ground almonds (almond meal), about 2 cups
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (your choice, either Fry's or unsweetend, I used the latter)
1/8 tsp salt
4 egg whites
All the dry ingredients
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract

METHOD:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper (not wax) with some hanging over the sides (like handles).
Whisk together your cocoa powder, sugar, almond meal, and salt - make sure to get out any big lumps!
Whisk together egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract in a separate bowl.
Batter, nice and thick
Make a well in your cocoa sugar mixture and dump in the egg whites.  Fold the egg whites several times until everything is well incorporated.
Dump into your pan and smooth top.
Bake for 40 minutes on the middle rack of your oven, you want a nice shiny top, might even rise a bit!
Let cool completely before removing brownies, peeling off parchment, and cutting into squares
To serve:  Enjoy with fruit or ice cream, or BOTH!

Cooks notes:  Since we are using almond meal, you might note a mealy texture, so no, not the smoothest thing in the world but for the savings in calories and the boost in health, this is a brownie I can REALLY get on board with.  I also like using the pre-packaged egg whites in this as they are runnier and incorporate into the batter much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment