Friday, November 18, 2011

Avocado Coconut Chocolate Mousse

Yes, the base of this dessert is AVOCADOS.  You won't even know they are there.  I served this to Adam's parents and I told them AFTER they ate it that they just ate a dairy free dessert with fibre and a low glycemic index.   They were suprised.  And they really enjoyed the dessert.

My inspriations (or, basically exactly what I did) come from these recipes:
http://www.hgtv.com/holidays-and-entertaining/chocolate-of-the-gods-mousse-with-raspberries-and-mint/index.html
http://www.notquitenigella.com/2011/06/17/in-my-kitchen-masterchefs-skye-craigs-chocolate-avocado-mousse/

AVOCADO COCONUT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE (serves 6)

Looks great!!!
 INGREDIENTS:
3 medium ripe haas avocados, peeled and wedged.
2/3 C Agave Syrup (or use pure maple syrup, add a bit more if it needs it as agave is sweeter)
3/4 C FULL FAT coconut milk (or about half of a 400 mL can)
6 packed TBSP of cocoa powder (I like the original, dutch process for a milder cocoa taste)
1/2 tsp of tamari (soy sauce is OK too)
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
itty bitty pinch of kosher salt
Raspberries, dried coconut, and mint leaves to serve

DIRECTIONS:
Place all ingredients in a blender, blend for a couple of minutes until everything is well incorporated and a bit frothy.  Taste the recipe, add more cocoa if you feel it necessary and blend for another minute.
Place blended mix into another bowl, cover, and chill for an hour or so to let flavours mellow and blend even more (this is optional but I find it helpful)

TO SERVE:
Place a few raspberries in the bottom of a martini glass
Put on a dollop of mousse
Place a few more raspberries on top and garnish with mint leaves** and coconut.

**Don't go out and buy mint leaves for this, I happened to have some.  Most people won't eat them, I love them in this because it's very rich and it helps cut through the chocolate.  It's great, really, truly, I LOVE mint.

Cooks Notes: 
I used agave syrup in this recipe.  I will NEVER USE AGAVE IN A RECIPE AGAIN! Sorry Agave Lovers. (I have half a bottle in my house whoever wants it).  Don't get me wrong, it tastes great.  I really like the flavour it provides, especially with the avocados.  The reason I used it is because I thought that it's lack of a glycemic response would be a benefit, I did MORE reading on the sweetener and because it's mostly fructose, you're getting a product with more fructose that HFCS.  For me, anyway, in small servings it made me feel really really hot and just weird all over after consumption.  Too bad, because I do like the taste.  You can try it absolutely, but I'd sooner go with maple syrup, and it's Canadian eh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment