Tuesday, November 1, 2011

GREEN SALSA!

I had two piles of tomatoes, one was ripe or ripening, the other was still green.  I had to do something with some of them, so I decided to make a relish/sauce!  I was looking up chow chow, but they all had SCADS of sugar in them, I was searching and searching and found this recipe:
Blending away...

This is so straightforward!

I can say, it is quite delicious.  I'm not planning on canning this stuff so I used the option for less vinegar and it was great, right now it's covered in the fridge and then it will make it's way into freezer bags in 1 C or so portions.  (this makes a good 6-8 cups I'd say).

Some Ingredients...

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. green tomatoes (I used Roma), cored and chopped
1 lb. white or yellow onions (I used yellow), chopped
3/4 lb. sweet peppers (red, but I also used some green too) cored and chopped
1/2 lb. tart cooking apples cored and chopped (granny smith is good, but I had golden delicious on hand)
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup 5% acidic organic raw apple cider vinegar (or less, see note below)*
1 Tablespoon kosher or sea salt
4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finely chopped (*note, I used thai green chiles, about 5 of them)
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro (I used more than this)



Simmering away...

METHOD:

Combine the Tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic into a pot.  Turn the pot onto high and add the salt, stir around, then add the vinegar.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then let simmer for about an hour uncovered, stirring on a regular basis.

Chopped up and salted!

After the hour is up you will have a beautiful consistent sauce.  At this point I took my chiles and a handful of cilantro (stems and all) and placed them in my mini chop food processor and whizzed them until pasty.  I added this concoction at the last minute and stirred.
At this point I took my immersion blender and pulsed it for a few minutes to give it a saucier consistently (but not a full puree)
Transfer sauce to a container to cool in the refrigerator before dividing up to freeze.
  
The result is.....YUMMY.  Just a bit of kick, a very well balanced sauce.  

I will make this again if I ever have scads of green tomatoes kicking around.  This is an excellent option if you are looking for something quick, with less sugar than the usual chow chow.

Uses?  This would go great on poultry, pork, and probably any fish.  I'd even see it at home in tex mex dishes.
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment