Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ice Cream, Sherbet, I scream for both!

I'll write more on the easter roast later, but I have to tell you about 2 of the most successful frozen desserts I have made with my ice cream machine which I served at Easter Dinner! 

Strawberry sauce caps a delicious
frozen treat!
Last year for my birthday my wonderful boyfriend bought me an attachment for my kitchenaid mixer, an ice cream machine!  WOW I thought, I was so pumped on endorphins that day (from running a half marathon a couple hours earlier) and I just thought it was the best gift ever, I still think that!  Frozen desserts are my favourite desserts, I just LOVE ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet, soft serve, you name it - and I'm not a snob about them either.  I just have to like it, that's my only criteria (I don't like all of it, I don't think bubblegum has any place in ice cream)

I made Lemon Sherbet and Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream served in Tuile bowls.  All three recipes are contained here.  In hindsight I wish I took photos of the ice cream churning, but I'll save that for next time I post an ice cream recipe (peanut butter chocolate anyone??!?!?!?)

LEMON SHERBET
This Lemon Sherbet is AWESOME.  I could eat it all day, the best flavoured frozen dessert I have ever made, easily.  Perfectly sweet, zingy, and creamy.  It was adapted from this recipe from my favourite website:  http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonSherbet.html
I did some small things differently and I doubled the original recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (120 ml) of lemon juice (2 - 3 large lemons)
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or a bit more, to taste if you like)

METHOD
- Juice and zest lemons, place lemon juice in fridge.
- Place sugar and milk and lemon zest in medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.  Set aside to cool to room temperature.    Place in fridge with lid covered dish overnight (or for several hours until cool).
- Add cold whipping cream and lemon juice to the milk mixture.
- Place in your ice cream machine and process to manufacturers directions (for me it was just under 15 minutes of churning)
- Place contents in a chilled bowl and place in freezer with a lid on for at least couple of hours before serving.  This keeps for awhile.  You may need to take out of freezer for 20 minutes or so before serving to get it scoopable.

I made the dessert this way to ensure a smooth texture (no sugar grains) and the zest steeping in the milk adds a nice intense lemon flavour.  I also cut the lemon juice in half b/c 1C seemed like too much, it was the right call.

This makes 6-8 good servings.

Mom said that it tasted more like a lemon dessert (think pie or square) and not sherbet - that is about the best compliment ever!


STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
Adapted from the joy of baking website again:  http://www.joyofbaking.com/StrawberryCheesecakeIceCream.html
This is another hit from the ice cream machine!  If I did it again I'd make a couple of changes, but texturally this is the best ice cream I have ever made.  Scoopable and perfectly creamy, a nice melting point and great flavour.  I'd recommend this one in a second.    I'm going to post the original recipe although I did make slightly more (proportionally though, same ingredients, I used a bit less sugar)

Ingredients:
2 cups (480 ml) half-and-half
1/2 vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 ounces (115 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
3 large (60 grams) egg yolks
2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar
2/3 cup (160 ml) strawberry puree (sauce)
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped (optional)

Tools:  Ice cream machine, larger bowl with a couple handfuls of ice cubes and cold water
* denotes a modification I made in the method

METHOD:
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream: In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring the half-and-half and the vanilla bean (if using) to the scalding point (the milk begins to foam up). Remove from heat, take out the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds from the bean with the back of a knife, and mix the seeds back into the half-and-half.
Meanwhile in a stainless steel bowl beat the cream cheese, egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Gradually pour the scalding half-and-half into the whipped egg yolk mixture, making sure you keep whisking constantly so the eggs do not curdle.  If any lumps do form, strain the mixture.

Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the custard thickens enough that it coats the back of a spoon (170 degrees F) (77 degrees C). (read more about this on the website)

* Remove the custard from the heat and Place the bowl in the ice cubes and water bowl and stir for a few minutes to cool down.  At this point stir in the vanilla extract, if using, and the strawberry sauce (puree). Cover and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold (several hours but preferably overnight). 

Transfer the cold custard to the chilled container of your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once made, stir in the cut up fresh strawberries (if using) and transfer the ice cream to a chilled container and store in the freezer. If the ice cream becomes too hard place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving so it can soften.

PERSONAL NOTES:  When it says a cup of FRESH strawberries it means it.  I used frozen chopped up and the chunks were just too hard for this ice cream.  Didn't get a good melt on the tongue, just felt like strawberry rocks.
Use full fat cream cheese and use more of it, maybe 2 oz more.  I used light cream cheese at the right proportion and there was not enough 'zing' to call this cheesecake.
The strawberry puree recipe is on the website, it's straightforward and it's really really good!


TUILE CUPS/BOWLS
Adapted from Martha Stewart, I made half the recipe, * denotes addition:

Ingredients
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/2t ground ginger (in mine since I made half, I used a 1/4t)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; with rack in middle. Put butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in egg whites, 1 at a time. Mix in flour, *ginger, salt, and vanilla.

Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Spoon 2 tablespoons batter onto the baking mat. Using an offset spatula, spread batter into a 7-inch circle, with the edges slightly thicker than the center. Repeat, making a second circle on the mat.

Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until edges of cookies turn golden, about 9 minutes. Using a small spatula, immediately transfer 1 cookie to a small bowl (about 5 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep). Gently mould the warm cookie to the shape of the bowl, pressing bottom down to flatten. Let stand in bowl 30 seconds; remove. Repeat with remaining cookie. If cookies become too cool to shape, return them to oven for 20 seconds. Repeat, baking remaining batter and forming into bowls. If using just 1 baking sheet, let it cool before spreading the next batch of batter onto it.

Cook's Note
Be sure to bake the cookies so that the entire round is golden, not just the edges. Keep cookies in an airtight container wrapped with plastic wrap until ready to serve.


PERSONAL NOTES:  Make these thinner thank you think you should or else they won't crisp up.  You really need to keep your eye on them.  Didn't turn out picture perfect but they were certainly tasty and worth another shot for sure!  You can make them bigger or smaller depending on your bowls - mine were a bit smaller and they were perfect.

P.S.  My nephew (about 20 mos old) LOVED the  bowls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment