Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2 BITES OF CANADA!

Happy Canada Day!
OK, well the only thing that really makes them Canadian is that a Canadian made them and ummmm, there are Canada sprinkles on them and I'm sure the eggs and much of the ingredients originated in Canada.  It's just like the radio, I've got me some "Can-Con" in there to keep me in business! HA HA.

It was Canada day, and I didn't want to make cookies, I was going to, but I didn't want to.  I've never made good brownies as far as I can tell, so I thought instead of changing the 'what' change the 'how' so instead of a pan that gets overcooked on the edges and soupy in the middle, how about mini versions of that?  Perfect. 

They worked out.  Good recipe, would make again.  Was inspired by the celebratory theme on this site http://www.kitchenparade.com/2009/06/two-bite-brownies.php (which is also where I got the recipe, save for some minor mods I made)

TWO BITE BROWNIES
Makes 24 (or a few more!)

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4C of Sugar
1/4C of light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
1 cup flour, whisked with:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed, but I mean, you CAN use dutch processed)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
Add-ins:  Go for some nuts but if you like DOUBLE CHOCOLATE and I know you do, 1/3 C of mini semi-sweet chips is a nice touch!


Stand mix the first part
METHOD:In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, mix until well combined. Add the coffee liquid and vanilla, mix until well combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa.  Add to the wet ingredients in thirds, beating BY HAND WITH A WOODEN SPOON until incorporated.  It will mix in well.  Then add the chips and stir.  Should be nice and thick.



Hand mix the flour mix into it

All done!

Spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin, fill most of the way full with batter.  If you have some leftover, just make more! (or eat it)  Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350.  Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, you can remove the brownies after about 15 minutes, most of them will come out easily but some will need to be co-erced with a knife (no, you are not a criminal, just a baker).

When completely cooled you can frost them with chocolate fudge frosting!!  But let's be honest, they really don't need it. I frosted these because I wanted to put sprinkles on them.

Store them in the fridge until ready to serve.


CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING

I found this recipe here:  http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateCupcakes.html.  I used the proportions and method and added my own touch (read: shortening).  It ended up maybe abit less fudgy but lovely texture and flavour, great for spreading. I'll ice a cake with this one day (I hope).  Makes enough frosting to adequately (and then some) ice your brownie bites.  Use the full recipe on the site for a cake or cupcakes.

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 ounces (40 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped  (1.5 squares)
1/4 cup (55 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1T vegetable shortening
3/4 C icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla

METHOD:
Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium in a dry glass dish or measuring cup for 30 second intervals until melted (stir between intervals).  Cool to room temperature
With a hand mixer, beat the butter and shortening for about a minute, add the sugar and again for a couple of minutes beat it up.  Add the chocolate and mix on low for a minute, then for a few minutes go up to medium high and blitz it until it's nice and glossy and fluffy.

Pipe or use a spatula and save a spoonful for yourself too! (yum yum)

No comments:

Post a Comment