Wednesday, July 20, 2011

CHARIZO! (Chard, Chorizo, Orzo)


At the end, colourful and just lovely!
Chard Chorizo Orzo.

Ever think of doing these three together? YOU SHOULD!  This was good and an homage to 'use what you have in the fridge' kind of cooking.  The names of the ingredients had a slight influence on being included in the dish, I must admit.   I was going to make risotto, and this is actually very much like risotto, except more straightforward and I dare say easier.  Actually Risotto was my backup plan in case I didn't have enough Orzo, but I had exactly the right amount of Orzo (I mean, to the gram - it was meant to be).
Orzo is not rice! It's pasta shaped like rice.  It's something I forget I have when I have it....and that's too bad, because it's really good.  Great for cold salads as well.

One pot meals people!  They make the world go 'round and dinner easy and delicious.

Very much inspired by the ingredients (and the looks) of this recipe:  http://jillianskitchen.com/2011/05/04/sausage-orzo/


CHARIZO! -or- Orzo with Chard and Chorizo

Here is what I did

The main star of the dish! Nice chard.
INGREDIENTS:
- 8oz Orzo (about 1 1/4 C)
- 1 bunch of white swiss chard, leaves separated from stems.  Stems chopped into 1cm pieces, leaves chopped.
- 1/4C fine diced onion (about 1 small)
- 2 cloves of garlic fine dice
- 2t olive oil
- 2t butter
- 2T fresh sliced sage
- 4 oz chorizo sausage, casing removed, thinly sliced
-1 C of white kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/4C fresh grated parmesan
- 2c chicken broth
- 1-1.5C of water (as needed)
- Fresh ground pepper

Coat the orzo in the chorizo veg mix

METHOD:
- Melt butter and olive oil in dutch oven over medium/low heat.
- Add shallot and garlic and stir around until translucent, about 5 minutes (try not to brown it too much, I did! oops)
- Bring it up to medium heat, add chard stalks and stir around again for a few more minutes until they start to release a bit of water and soften a smidgen.
- Add chorizo, stir for a few minutes until it starts to brown a bit and smell really awesome (you'll know what I mean)
- Add orzo and stir the pot to coat with the buttery sausagey goodness
- Add broth and 1 C of the water and bring to a boil
- Bring back down to a simmer for a few minutes
- Add chard leaves and sage and give the whole mix a good stir, they will wilt and cook pretty fast.
- Let cook on medium (or just under) for 10 minutes, stir regularly (it will catch on the bottom if you don't).  Add a touch more water and if you think you need it.
- After 10 minutes it should be a good consistency (not soupy, if it's still watery, keep cooking for a few more minutes, stirring regularly to help reduce it)
- Add the beans and stir into the mix until heated through (a minute or two, it's pre-cooked canned beans, they'll warm up quickly)
- Kill the heat and remove the pot from the element.  Stir in the parmesan until it's melted throughout.
- Serve immediately. Season with fresh pepper.  Serves 2 hungry adults with leftovers for lunch (or a family of 4 with some side dishes)

Plates well with steamed veg, green
salad would also be great.
 Cooks notes: 
I don't think Adam is on the chard bandwagon as much as I am, but I can't help it.  I love this stuff, it lends itself so well to dishes like this and to casseroles.  Chard I find works best IN something (soup, mac and cheese, etc) instead of on it's own (not to say it can't taste good sauteed in evoo and garlic).  This was a great dish! Would be good addin's for risotto or plain rice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment