Monday, March 14, 2011

I like to oat oat oat oat

...opples and bonono's (anyone know that song?)

I LOVE OATS.  If I had a top 5 list of favourite foods I know for sure oats would be in there.  If there was one grain I had to eat for the rest of my life and omit all others, I would choose the mighty oat.
YUMMY!  Oats at their finest.

So many applications!  So much versatility!  SO TASTY!

OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
I like to call these the cookies that made me famous the second time (the first time in my youth it was grandma's peanut butter cookies, just the best!) but these are the cookie.  I'd almost say my signature cookie.  No, they aren't the greatest cookie in the world (as they are not caramel skor sensations!) but they are the most honest and versatile cookies I make.  They are damn good too.  
I came across the original recipe at least a few (more like 5?) years ago on the internet.  I've modified it but I still go mostly by the original version (http://www.everydaycook.com/recipebox/cookies/chocolatechipoatmeal.htm).
Most cookies (and alot of other baked goods) have a wet side and a dry side.  You basically mix all of the wet stuff and then add the dry stuff.

When I made these today, I tell you the crisp buttery edge is just perfect, it's only like that for a few hours or until you pack them up, but a fresh baked one of these cookies is truly special.  (Recipe follows)


Preheat oven to 375.  Line a couple baking sheets with parchment
The wet side:
1/2C unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2C packed brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1t vanilla
1 egg
sprinkle of water (scant tablespoon.

The dry side:
3/4C flour whisked with
1/2t baking soda
1/4t salt (stop here)

1 1/2 cups of rolled oats
1C chocolate chips*

*Extra addins:  this can be a cup of chips, but you can have some nuts in there too such as pecans or almonds or even walnuts if you like.  Coconut works well, raisins are good, dried cranberries are OK, even chopped baking chocolate instead.  Regular sized chips work better than mini chips.  A combo is always the best.

Since I had a surplus of chocoloate covered raisins, I put in 1 1/4C of those and about 1/4 C of flaked sweet coconut.

The method:
In your stand mixer or hand mixer cream butter and sugars until well mixed (about 3-4 minutes).  Add egg, mix, add vanilla and water, mix well until all is combined.   On a lower speed add in your flour a few increments at a time, mixing then on medium until well incorporated.  Remove beaters (or bowl) and stir in the oats and chocolate chips and/or other addins as necessary.

If the dough seems too runny, refrigerate covered for a half hour (I find it's usually good to go).

I do the scoop and roll with these, so I scoop up a hunk of dough and very loosely roll with my hands, not like you'd roll into tight little balls for other cookies, just enough to have something of a shape.

Bake for about 9 minutes in the middle of your oven.  If you have 2 pans, cook on the same level, but rotate front/back side/side half way for best results.   You want a nice golden edge and a light middle.   Once removed from the oven let stand on your sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.

Makes about 30-40 depending on size :)

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, since I can't have chocolate chips (Lent) I made oatmeal raisin cookies using this recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/thick-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/ (from a fave website) and let me tell you: they are DELISH! They turned out great and they are just the right size: bite-size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! I'm definitely going to bookmark this site, looks like an awesome resource!

    ReplyDelete