Tuesday, March 29, 2011

She wore Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue Cactuuuus

Wait, that's not how the song goes!  Somehow on Sunday after looking after my nephew in the AM Adam and I ended up at Blue Cactus.  This wasn't our first choice, we careened through the market on the FREEZING Sunday looking for somewhere that wasn't insane busy that was not serving brunch.  I get brunch, but we do not need to have it at 99.9% of all eating establishments in the city, but I digress...

Tasty steak and cheese!

We ended up here and I will say this:  This place is tired.  It felt like a hangover.  Maybe because I've been living in Ottawa for 10 years now (holy s**t!) and this place has not even changed an accessory since then.  The furniture is getting worn, it just doesn't jive with the light of day, although I think they can get away with it in the evening.

We sat near a window, the place wasn't too busy (yet, but it was Sunday and cold).  The water glasses were scratched and old and the one at my place was dirty but PROPS to the server for recognizing this right away and getting me a fresh one.

For lunch I got the steak sandwich, which was a new york steak open face on rosemary ciabatta with onions, mushrooms and garlic and provolone, served with side salad.
Adam got the club sandwich with grilled chicken, havarti, "smoked pancetta and sundried tomato mayo" on a cheddar chive panini.

The good:
Service was good, attentive enough, didn't go out of way but got props for the water glass and taking our order promptly enough.
Both sandwiches were very tasty!  Mine was very flavourful steak, and the breads they were served on were excellent (must be a great bakery that sources these guys)
Adam liked the fries

The not so good:
Why is pop 3.50 a glass?
As mentioned before, tired decor
My side salad was limp, just about spoiled mesclun greens without enough dressing (which is usually the OPPOSITE problem)
The food took a smidgen too long to get to us

Overall:
Good for lunch, prices (besides pop) are on par.  Wouldn't rush back to go here specifically because although decent, it's nothing special and like i said - TIRED.    But at least I know there's a decent backup plan if where I *do* want to go in the market doesn't have a seat for me.    I think this place can get their jive back with a bit of sprucing up the food and the decor and stop resting on their laurels.

No comments:

Post a Comment