Monday, March 21, 2011

Slow cookin' Sunday

It's Monday now, but I thought I should throw out winter with a BANG by slow cooking on Sunday (oddly, Sunday was a gorgeous day and today it's snowing)

There are a few reasons for this:

1) My friend Susan recently posted a link to a slow cooking blog (this one:  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/)  on my facebook and that had me thinking
2) I had planned on painting the bathroom and didn't want to fuss with dinner
3) What else was I going to do with those chicken thighs?


I am overall a fan of the crockpot and was first inspired to use it on a more regular basis several years ago when my sister Jen bought me a book called "Not your Mothers Slow Cooker Recipes for 2".  Less conventional takes on favourites, and it forced me to try new things.  Thanks Jen, you've always bought me great cookbooks.
Crockpot goodness, beautiful colour
and aromas!


MOROCCAN CHICKEN STEW
The recipe that inspired my recipe was found online, and I'd make a few (more) small changes.  The original recipe is here:  http://www.homehardware.ca/en/index/home-experts/anna-olson/all-recipes/fall-recipes/slow-cooker-moroccan-chicken-stew.htm

An odd website - but a great chef! :)  My recipe follows......



My recipe is here:
Chicken Spice Rub
Mix 10 whole cloves and 2t of coriander seeds crushed in mortar & pestle (or a coffee grinder) with 2t grd cumin, 1t grd ginger, 1t sweet paprika, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/2t allspice, 3/4t ground pepper.

Other ingredients for stew:
1C chopped peeled carrot
1C chopped peeled parsnip
1C chopped red bell pepper
1 19oz can diced tomatoes undrained
With yogurt, quinoa, steamed veg
TASTY!
1C chicken broth
1 medium onion chopped into big chunks
1 large clove of garlic sliced
1/3C sultana raisins
handful of dried cranberries
1 bay leaf
1/2 lemon cut in half
good squeeze of honey
1 lb boneless skinless chick thighs cut into 1 inch chunks
1T of canola oil for pan
1 can of drained rinsed chick peas

Other accompaniments:
Cooked quinoa for serving over
steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets
Naan bread (or pita would be great)
Yogurt
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Make spice rub. 
Heat pan on medium high heat, add oil. 
Toss the chicken in the spice rub and cook in pan flipping a few times until browned all over (4-6 min)

Combine the carrots, parsnip, pepper, tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic, raisins, cranberries, honey in crock pot.  Add the chicken, lemon, and bay leaf.  Give it a bit of a stir (bring up some veg over the chicken).  Cook on low for about 6 hours (or high for 4).

A half hour before the end of cooking, add your chickpeas, and also if you want it thicker (I did) Add 1T of cornstarch mixed with about 1 1/2T water - put the crock on high and remove lid to thicken.

Verdict:  Very good!! I know it will make even BETTER leftovers for my lunch today (and dinner later this week)  I will definitely make this again but what I might do is:  Use a bit less liquid, add a touch more salt, and some more allspice, it was missing that.  Also, fresh coriander would have set this off huge, so if you have it - USE IT!  You could use chicken breasts as well and it would be just as delicious.

1 comment: