Tuesday, March 29, 2011

mmmmmmmmmmuffins

I think that's a restaurant that (used to) exist, right?  The way I see it, muffins generally come in 2 varieties:  Dessert style (cakey and sweet) and snack style (more nutritious and hearty)

For example:
Oat bran carrot: Snack style
Chocolate chip: Dessert style

Snacky hearty oatmeal goodness!
I have a great cookbook my sister Andrea gave to me a few years ago and it's an excellent go to.  I refer to this book for inspiration regularly.  I've learned alot about food and have taken from it several solid recipes.
This one for muffins which I made on my day off yesterday (the original is here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/sweet-rolls/muffins/)  is just about as basic as it gets.  I've used some proportions from this recipe to make my own snack style with reduced fat and nice moistness.  They come together in a snap.

Quick note:  the yield is not 12 muffins, you get about 10 or 11 normal sized ones.


 
OATMEAL RAISIN APPLE MUFFINS
Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4C rolled oats
1/3  cup golden brown sugar
2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/4  teaspoon  salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1    egg, beaten
1/2  cup  milk
1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
2T cooking oil
1/2 C raisins (I like sultanas)
1 small apple, cored, peeled and grated.


Method:
Heat your oven to 375, line standard tin with 12 liners
Whisk together Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add oats.  Make a well in this mix
In a separate bowl combine egg, milk, yogurt, and cooking oil.  Stir.
Add wet to the well in the dry mix and fold until just combined.  Put in your raisins and apple and fold until just combined.
Fill your cups about 2/3 full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done (might be a little less, as it was with me)

Verdict?  Good all purpose snack muffins. Won't win a bakery contest though! ha ha.   Nice warmed up with a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment