Monday, February 21, 2011

An experiment in pasta for one - sorta

Shrimpy pasta, good but never again
It's one of those evenings where A and I ended up making separate suppers, with family day A and his buddies went indoor golfing and by the time he got home (late) my gradiose ideas of a steak dinner seemed a bit less appetizing, mostly because I had only a modest appetite and A mentioned some serious nachos he ate recently.

A short while ago I made an awesome pasta and cheese with Swiss Chard - boy, was it good!  Me, trying to up my greens and meats (I'm low on iron, so my doctor says) am looking for new ways to enjoy bitter green things.

Tonight an experiment of sorts happened, mostly because I intended to make a quesdilla and ended up with a chard/shrimp pasta?  Whatever.  Seafood happens when I don't cook for A, and I like it.   The recipe is vague and I will never make it this way again, but here are the components:

Some large shrimp (5 or 6) (deveined, cook them, peel them)
a handful of frozen baby shrimp (they come cooked and peeled)
A few mushrooms
A few stems of swiss chard
butter
garlic
2 sundried tomatos packed in oil
A squirt of roasted red pepper salad dressing (seriously)
approx 2oz of long pasta, cooked to pkg directions

Cook your mushrooms and chard (blanch to make it more tender, I was indifferent) with a minced garlic clove in a bit of butter, medium heat.  Add your shrimp, and give a good toss.  Add your tomatoes and dressing.  Add pasta and a few T of reserved cooking water, stir it all up, add some fresh ground pepper and grated parmesan.  This took about 15 minutes from concept to completion.  So this is extremely easy, and it tasted alright, not spectactular but good.  The dressing is a good trick if you want something fast and don't have much time for flavour development.  One thing, I AM inspired to perfect and refine this recipe and come up with something AWESOME.   You learn with these little adventures, and that's one reason I have this blog, it's for me too, so I can remeber what I did (and what NOT to do in the future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment