Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekend baking! Gimme S'more banana muffins :)

I baked two things this weekend.  Banana muffins and S'more bars.  Let's get right down to business.

The Banana Muffins I made are based infact on a banana bread recipe I am fond of on the joyofbaking.com website - don't let the word "low fat" fool you - I put in lots of extra fat in the way of pecans and chocolate chips :)

Recipe was followed exactly with the following mods....At the end I added 1/2C semi-sweet chocolate chips (I would reccomend mini chips, I didn't have any on hand, but they disperse the batter nicer) and 1/4C chopped pecans.  Instead of a quick bread I divided into 12 large paper lined muffin cups.  I baked at 350 degrees for 22 minutes.

Don't these look nice? They tasted great....Goes well with tea



S'more Granola Bars

Alright, I'll just come out and say it, there is NOTHING healthy about these 'granola' bars - dessert by any other name I say, but MAN they are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.  So good.  I made these this morning and when I was out for a run I could only think of the delicious snack waiting for me at home.   This is the first time I have ever baked these, and I had great results, although I would make a few changes next time....

Again, I used my favourite website as a resource:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpages/SmoreGranolaBarsprint.html

Instead of 1C of chips I used 3/4C, and I upped the marshmallow count slightly.  I crushed my own graham wafers and purposely left in some chunks.  I included the coconut.  Also, I used the real deal maple syrup and it makes them, seriously.
What I would do if I did it again:  Cut them when they are almost completely cool, at least an hour or else you'll get aggrivated.  Also, I would consider mixing the choc and marshmallows right into the granola mixture, press firmly into the pan.  With that I'd use a foil lined pan to make removal and cutting easier (although I will say the method outlined the bars come out just fine)  Furthermore, I would use a tad less sugar, as I found these far too sweet esp with the inclusion of graham cracker crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment